This week we’re talking about training. If we’re going to do anything for any length of time and have some degree of success, we have to train for it.
Read 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
2 Questions this week:
1. What are you doing to train in these areas of your life so that you won’t be ‘disqualified?’ You could think in terms of resources, relationships or experiences in each of these areas.
1. Spiritual – connection with God, scripture, prayer, worship, etc.
2. Emotional – time and space to process how your feeling
3. Intellectual – stretching your thinking, challenging you to grow professionally, etc.
4. Social –meeting new people, keeping a balance between social and solitude
5. Physical – staying active, caring for your body, etc.
6. Sexual – purity, and if married growing in your love for your spouse
2. Do you have a person (or people) in each of these areas who serve as your personal ‘board of directors’? Or put another way, these people form ‘Team Charles’ and are encouraging me, rooting me on, challenging me. It could be the same person or you may have different people you’ve asked to keep you accountable or someone you can lean into for wisdom. If not, consider asking someone (or multiple people) to walk with you in each of these areas. Share who’s on your ‘Team’ with your RP’s or what your next step is to form your team.